Welcome to the first blog of the Lakeview Animal Clinic. The purpose of this blog is to inform and educate pet owners. I hope to keep you up-to-date with relevant topics for keeping your four- legged friends happy and healthy
My name is Karen Schweiss and I have been a certified veterinary technician for over 30 years. I have 2 cats, Tucker and Domino, that allow me to live with them, and one crazy lovable yellow lab named Tonka (as in the truck). He makes me laugh on a daily basis.
In my long career I have come to know many veterinarians. People often ask me what to look for when searching for a veterinarian for their furry friends. Being caring and knowledgeable are the obvious answers, but there’s more.
- Location and fees are important in making decision on who will treat your friend, but sometimes driving a little farther or paying a little more may be worth the quality of care and the type of services available.
- The clinic you choose should be comfortable, clean and odor free. Ask for a tour of the office and meet the staff.
- Look for the staff to be courteous, kind and organized.
- I want my veterinarian to have great people skills as well as gentle animal skills. She (or he) should treat Tonka like their own pet.
- If your pet is ill, the veterinarian should explain your pet’s condition in simple language and discuss the fees and options available to you. Together you can then decide the best course of treatment for your pet.
- If your pet is visiting for a regular check up, listen for tips to promote a long healthy lifestyle and make sure the doctor answers all your questions.
- Is after hour emergency care available?
If you are like me, your dogs and cats are part of your family. I take care in picking a physician for myself and find it just as important to find a caring and competent veterinarian for my pets.